Newly Qualified SLTs Needed for Exciting Research Project
Evaluation of Hanen Learning Language and Loving It
Exciting opportunity to contribute to gathering evidence for a research project commissioned by the Education Endowment Foundation.
Position: We need speech and language therapists (SLTs) to carry out assessments with 3-4-year olds as part of the evaluation of Hanen Learning Language and Loving It (Hanen LLLI), a training programme for early years staff. These assessments will be carried out in nursery settings in the North of England (Newcastle and Tyne and Wear), East Midlands and the Humber (Sheffield, Chesterfield, Rotherham, Derby and Leicester) and West Midlands (Birmingham, Walsall, Solihull, Dudley, Coventry, Worcestershire and Shropshire).
Hours and key dates
- Attending one half day briefing (online) in the first half of September 2022 (dates tbc) • Scheduling and administering assessments at nurseries between 26th September and 21stOctober 2022.
- Attend one online briefing event
- Schedule assessments with individual nurseries
- Administer the British Picture Vocabulary Scale (BPVS) to around 17 pupils per nursery during the assessment period. Materials will be sent to your home address before testing
- Input children’s scores at the end of each assessment day.
Pay and travel
- engage you on a freelance worker basis
- work with you on a PAYE basis (NatCen will process tax and National Insurance) • ask you to submit a timesheet to capture time and for us to process fees and expenses • pay you at an hourly rate of £26 per hour for scheduling the tests, testing children and inputting
the scores in a survey. Note that you will not be paid for time spent travelling to/from nurseries • pay travel expenses/costs at 35p per mile for all travel to/from nurseries
- pay accommodation costs if you are travelling from outside of the nursery area
Experience and availability
- Experience of working with young children and carrying out assessments with 3-4-year olds • Have a valid DBS certificate dated within the last 3 months or be willing to apply for one where NatCen will reimburse the cost.
- Have business insurance for a car while working for NatCen
- Ability to work flexibly across multiple settings’ and children’s availability
- Willing to travel to North of England, East Midlands and the Humber and the West Midlands.
Experience of carrying out assessments using the British Picture Vocabulary Scale (BPVS).
- At least 6 days during the testing period (October 3rd-21st 2022). It may be that multiple visits are required to a setting to complete the assessments.
- Attend one online half day briefing session (paid) in the first half of September 2022 (dates tbc).
If you would like to be involved, please register your interest with Julia Ruddick-Trentmann at LLLI@natcen.ac.uk or 0207 549 7150 by 4th July 2022 and indicate the number of days you would be available during the testing period.